Ask anyone what a character space is and it’ll probably be different every time.
Is it the rustic exposed brickwork walls, the stripped back wooden floors, the large wooden framed windows? Or is it the industrial conversion like an old fire station, garage or warehouse with exposed steel beams and tell tale signs that it was once used for something completely different.
It’s almost impossible to recreate the atmosphere of a character space in a new building, however hard the design team have worked on the fit out, although there are some exceptions. To truly appreciate something that has had a previous life it needs to feel lived in, loved and cared for and given a new lease of life. So here are our top pics of great character venues for hire in Auckland that we work with and recommend to our clients so that you can enjoy them too.
1. Brick Barn, Grey Lynn You’ll be hard pressed to find this place unless you’ve previously come across it. Tucked away down a driveway on a residential street. It’s exactly what it’s called – a brick barn with exposed rafters and classic pieces of leather and wood furniture that ooze comfort. It’s a small space for up to 30 people and can be casual or formal. It works really well for meetings, brainstorms and film shoots. It’s also used for baby showers, birthday parties, wellness training and special dinners.
2. The Bank is not actually a bank but used to be one. Also situated in Grey Lynn and conveniently attached to a great bar called the Pocket Bar, but retains a very separate identity and plenty of privacy, if that’s important to you. This is a large open space which can hold up to 100 people, cocktail style, with wooden floors, huge tall windows and exposed brick walls. It’s big enough to be flexible for all types of setups – boardroom, U shape, theatre, banquet or cocktail style and has a casual and relaxed feel. It’s been used for company meetings and presentations, product launches, political conferences, networking events, parties, fashion shows, brainstorm sessions and planning sessions. You can even pop next door for some pub lunch or an after work beer at the end of the day.
3. The Bluestone Room – this is a place with real history. It’s situated in the middle of Auckland CBD down a side road between Queen Street and Alert Street. Downstairs is a traditional pub. Upstairs is a large and spacious function space with holds up to 180 people for a seated dinner, with stone walls, wooden floor and exposed rafters. It works well for large company gatherings, social events and parties and you won’t have to worry about creating an atmosphere as it’s already there!
4. Flagship – did I say that you couldn’t create character in a new space? Well, sometimes you can and Flagship is one of those spaces. It’s new but truly authentic to its cause – a green space that insists on showing us that we can minimise our impact on the environment through effort and detail. It’s situated at Silo park and they’ve done a really good job. It works well for meetings, brainstorms, company presentations, social events and small dinners. It can hold up to 200 people cocktail style.
5. The Little Easy – exactly as it sounds. A relaxed venue with loads of character situated in the heart of Ponsonby. Downstairs is a great, feel-good pub, where some good beer flows, wholesome food is abundant and the conversation is easy. Upstairs there’s an awesome events space with wooden floors, a stage, great big windows, exposed rafters and a campervan! The space is awesome for all types of events for up to 120, daytime or evening. All you need is a bit of imagination and you’ll be able to create something really unique here.
For more venue ideas go to our listings page or contact us for a chat.
Now’s the time to be seen and be supported, to bring those customers back and do what you do best – host amazing events. Listing on Venyou will be the best decision you make this week!